Update August 2007: Supplementary material (59 minutes), TGGWS debate in AustraliaThe video is available via:
* Google Video (full 75 minutes, with French subtitles)
* YouTube playlist (8 videos)
* Bit Torrent (high quality download)
** Copies: XviD, AVI, others
** Downloading program: BitTorrent
* VEdeleteOH online video
* DVD: click the colorful icon to get to amazon.com for USD 20 Doomsday called off". The director of TGGWS and the boss of Wag TV, Martin Durkin, is a "right-wing Marxist" whose main motivation is to allow the third world to get richer. Well, I certainly agree that they have the right. There are some funny moments - for example Margaret Thatcher is painted as the ultimate mother of man-made global warming ;-) because of her complex strategy to promote nuclear energy but there seems to be a lot of good science in the documentary, too.
And there are some minor bugs - e.g. a wrong statement about the amount of CO2 produced by volcanoes. If you want to know which scientist is gonna complain that he has been misrepresented, it is Carl Wunsch. Well, just like in many similar cases, there are two Wunsches. One of them is a rational scientist who has contributed some of his technical knowledge to the documentary. The other Wunsch is controlled by his brainwashing movement and generates scientifically vacuous, alarmist, and unfriendly politicized misinterpretations of the documentary and his role in it on RealClimate.ORG.
If you kindly allow me to add one more minor criticism of Durkin's work, I also think that the self-confidence with which the solar / cosmic ray theory was promoted was a little bit too high. There are several high-profile skeptics I know - including myself - who have certain doubts about this theory. Nevertheless, some of the graphs in the documentary were new for me and quite impressive. I've checked that they can be found in serious scientific literature but still, one must be aware of a certain kind of cherry-picking that was needed to make the case for a new complete theory really strong.
The quality of tricks and dramatization is however very good - at least in the same league as Al Gore's movie.
Channel 4 wants to stay hot so they plan a TV debate about global warming for April. Ofcom has received 145 complaints from warming religious fanatics. ;-) Channel 4 has received 758 calls and e-mails that were mostly (6:1) in favor of the show.
Original text written on March 6th
On Thursday March 9th, 2007, at 9 pm, the British Channel 4 - not BBC - is going to air
Another, more reliable insight that should be there is the explanation why we know almost for sure that in the correlation of CO2 and temperatures in the ice core records, temperature was the cause and the CO2 concentration was its consequence - even though many fraudsters find it very convenient to create the impression (or fog) that it could be the other way around.
There should be many scientists on the program. One of them is the first Canadian climatology PhD, Dr Timothy Ball, who appeared on Foxnews' Hannity & Colmes last night and did a great job: video.
Dead Google Video links: dead link I, dead link II, dead link III (less dramatic sound), dead link IV (YouTube), dead link V (YouTube), dead link VI (YouTube, eight pieces), dead link VII, dead link VIII (YouTube abridged), dead link IX (YouTube, nine parts), dead link X: Deutsche Synchronisation (acht Teile, Der große Klimawandel-Schwindel),
link dead from June 2007 (full 75:58 minutes), another one, without first minute, Version mit deutschen Untertiteln (German), YouTube (8 parts erased in Aug 2007), Google without subtitles.
These copies were removed one by one, after millions of viewers saw them.
Not directly related to the movie
On April 1st, I reorganized this page and put all things that are not directly related to the documentary here. The original text from March 6th, 2007, said:
In parts of Massachusetts, we have the coldest March day since 1950 while Sabine Hossenfelder's bike has re-emerged from a glacier because the temperature jumped above balmy -22 Celsius degrees in Waterloo, Canada and reached -19 degrees (although it feels like -27 Celsius degrees). Record cold temperatures are also in Ottawa, Canada, New Hampshire, Philadelphia, New York (where many schools are closed), West Virginia (where people are dying).
That's a good opportunity to remind everyone that most proponents of the global warming theory are crackpots.
- Incidentally, Feynman at Caltech asks whether solar variability is behind the climate change in Advances of space research.
And then I continued with the comments about the documentary.
Other popular climate articles on The Reference Frame
- CNN: Exposed: Climate of Fear (Glenn Beck)
- Christopher Monckton & climate alarmism
- Temp determined CO2 concentrations, not the other way around
- IQ2 US debate: skeptics beat alarmists
- Temperature CO_2 sensitivity
- Southern hemisphere cooling or at least not warming
- Correlation of sunspots and cosmic rays - and temperature
- 2006: a bad year for chicken little's
- 2006: coolest year since 2001