Friday, April 12, 2013 ... Français/Deutsch/Español/Česky/Japanese/Related posts from blogosphere

Accidents killing professional climate alarmists

This blog entry will review some recent sad events.



This pretty, 35-year-old lady is Dr Katharine Giles of London. Unfortunately, the bike accident on the picture is no accident. She hit a lorry and died.




Giles focused on the analyses of Arctic and Antarctic ice. Her freezing website featured a blog, too. The most cited paper she co-authored, one with almost 100 citations, was about the 2007 Arctic ice minimum.




The other co-authors were Seymour Laxon and Andy Ridout. And that's where the story gets even more interesting.



This is Seymour Laxon, a 49-year-old researcher who has done some interesting work aside from the unconstrained alarm, and I don't mean his blog that has been silent for years. For example, in 1994, he and David McAdoo started to measure the Arctic gravity field.

What's strange is that two months ago, after a fall, Laxon suffered brain haemorrhage and died, too.

If I were an unhinged climate alarm conspiracy theorist such as Alexander Ač, I would surely start to think about the possibility that the Big Oil is gradually eliminating climate alarmists. And if I were a deeply religious climate skeptic, I could start to believe that it has been the work of God and His ultimate justice instead.

As you may guess, I am neither. But in spite of the missing rational explanation, I would still exploit the 2-event coincidence and recommend Andy Ridout to avoid bikes, mountain-climbing, and falls.

Add to del.icio.us Digg this Add to reddit

snail feedback (23) :


reader anna v said...

Hai! Good recommendation :).


It is like touching on wood, nobody believes it and most people do it.


Let me give you a personal low probability coincidence:


At Christmas my son broke his arm a bit over the wrist while skiing.


A month later I fell backwards and broke my arm at the same spot.


A month after that , his elder son, 12 years old, broke his arm skiing at the same spot.


I know skiers have a high probability of breaking something. In winter the cafeteria at CERN was full of people in casts. Still.


A month


reader papertiger0 said...

Frozen to death as fuel bills soar: Hypothermia cases among the elderly double in five years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2100232/Frozen-death-fuel-bills-soar-Hypothermia-cases-elderly-double-years.html





Don't remember how many times I've read stories like that. Still it's just an abstract, more English pensioners dead in the winter, doesn't mean that much to me.


It's not my grandma. But what if I were in London and it was my grandma who froze to death because the local ordinance forbade her from lighting a fire to keep warm?


reader Bernal said...

I see Gwyneth Paltrow and Mark Wahlberg as the victims; Russell Crow as the vengeful Steve McIntyre.


reader Smoking Frog said...

Did these deaths occur in cooler-than-normal weather? You see, global warming alarmists expect warm weather, so their brains optimize their bodies for it, and whenever it's not warm, they have a higher probability of malfunction. :-)


reader onlythetruth said...

in very bad taste motl


reader Smoking Frog said...

Still.


You betcha! (There may be something strange going on.)


reader Ann said...

Meanwhile U.S. public school science books may start incorporating the dogmas of global warming, I.e., that planet has warmed up significantly and humans are playing major role in causing that. Why don't they have the kids look at the data and read the posts here, instead. They might learn some real science then instead of Eco-religious indoctrination. Ugh.


reader Shannon said...

Cyclists in town are dangerous and never respect the highway code. They think that because they don't pollute the air they are the kings the road. I guess the lorry driver will have to live with her death on his conscience all his life. I feel sorry for him too.

Seymour Laxon could have had an aneurysm (growing pocket of blood in the brain) which would have nothing to do with his fall,.

May they rest in peace anyway.


reader Gene Day said...

It’s more likely a subdural hematoma caused by the fall. My wife and I have both had bad falls over the past eighteen months. She had a minor hemorrhage while I did not but the doctor did examine me very, very carefully.
We are both in our seventies and are now much more careful. I have known two people who had surgery after a fall in order to relieve the pressure caused by bleeding. It’s pretty common.

Regarding cyclists, Shannon, its a big issue here in Santa Rosa and the cyclist is not always to blame. I have two good cycling friends who were deliberately run down by motorists, one of them on a golf course. The perpetrator will be sentenced on May 1.


reader Shannon said...

Gene, I'm sorry to hear about you and your wife's fall. I hope you'll be ok. According to Lubos' bold innuendo you are safe because you aren't an alarmist ;-)).
The thing with cyclists is that they tend to forget that in some trucks (or 4x4) the visibility and manoeuvrability is limited.


reader Gene Day said...

Thanks for your concern, Shannon, but we are now OK and, hopefully, somewhat wiser.


reader Tom Trevor said...

I love the gratuitous attack on my good friend Alex AC. (who would have lost his bet if he actually had the guts to make it).


reader Tom Trevor said...

I broke my left wrist twice a year apart. Must me a one in a million chance of that.


reader anna v said...

actually I was told to be careful, since it is easier ( more probable) to break again where a break has happened. Also let us not forget psychology and the self fulfilling prophecy effect. In my case I could have been thinking : "Oh, I should be careful at my age", and my grandson "I wonder how dad broke his arm,this way?" . The so called look elsewhere effect.


reader Jim Snape said...

Well, t least they are carbon neutral now, a fitting end for the stupid.


reader Alexander Ač said...

Luboš,

"I could start to believe that it has been the work of God and His ultimate justice instead." - Indeed, it might be the case! - since for truly good people there is better place than to stay here - only bastards survive, in the end. Gandhi, Luther King, Dian Fossey, Jesus, and many, many others could tell...


reader Luboš Motl said...

Not to mention Hitler, Stalin, Gottwald who was just attending the funeral of his friend I mentioned before him, and others. Maybe you're more high than you planned?


reader Shannon said...

Ouh la la Alexander is mad at some divine injustice.


reader Alexander Ač said...

Hitler had a nice life, so did Stalin (what a trible death of heart attack!), not to mention Gottwald, bastards always have a nice life... but they have to die, eventually ;-)


reader woodnfish said...

Considering the death and misery caused by these "climate junk-scientists" I just can't find that I care they are dead. It seems like good karma to me. May it happen to more junk-scientists. The sooner they are gone, the better life will be for the rest of us. It's sort of like life without communists. Well, actually it's the same thing.


reader Smoking Frog said...

Alexander - That's because God gives the bastards many 2nd chances. :-)


reader Skeptic said...

Are you a 'vitalist' Luboš ?


reader Luboš Motl said...

No... and if there were any suggestion of that, it was not meant seriously.