Monday, March 02, 2015 ... Français/Deutsch/Español/Česky/Japanese/Related posts from blogosphere

Brian Greene's 14-hour audiobook

I admit that I have never bought an audiobook. And I don't even know what kind of devices or apps are able to play them. But most of us are able to play YouTube videos. And a user who is either a friend of Brian Greene or a pirate posted the full audiobook of "The Hidden Reality" to YouTube a month ago.

If you have spare 13 hours and 49 minutes today (and tomorrow, not to mention the day after tomorrow), here is the first 8.3 hours:

YouTube search: The Hidden Reality Full Audiobook Part 1of2
And when you complete this one, you should continue.

Here are the remaining 5.5 hours:
YouTube search: The Hidden Reality Full Audiobook Part 2of2
If you haven't tried the videos yet, you may be puzzled: Who can be narrator? Where in the world can you find someone who is able to read and flawlessly speak for 14 hours, without any need to eat, drink, use a toilet, or breath in between? Actors don't have these physical abilities, have they?

Maybe the actors don't but some physicists do. Brian Greene has recorded the audiobook version of "The Hidden Reality" himself!

If you are as impressed as I am, you may go to the page at the top and register for a free 30-day trial of the "Audible" program which allows you to download two books for free. After 30 days, you may continue with "Audible" at $14.95 a month.

Alternatively, you will always be able to buy the audiobooks individually. "The Hidden Reality" audiobook is available via one click for $26.95.

I am amazed by this because whenever I record something, like my versions of songs or anything else, it takes at least 10 times more time to produce the thing than the final duration of the audio file. My guess is that it would take me something like 140 hours to record that and the quality wouldn't be anywhere close to Brian's recitation (not even in Czech).

Add to Digg this Add to reddit

snail feedback (10) :

reader Fred said...

I love audio books when I go walking in the hills near where I live. I have a subscription to Audible which I share with my wife. It's great for fitness because if the book is good, you want to keep walking! I may try to get Brian's book next month.

reader lukelea said...

Audio books are good for long car trips by yourself. I listened to Kerouac's On the Road on one road trip up and down the east coast. I could never have read it, but listening to it . . . man, the naivite and romanticism had me shaking my head and grinning from ear to ear. Like Huckleberry Finn, it was something only possible in one moment in time, a true American classic.

reader QsaTheory said...

I have read many of the classics like Olivier twist ,,,etc. I have read Hidden reality also, but I wouldn't want to listen to it on the road, I would run into a tree and end my reality.

My favorite is the Tales of two cities.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

How true!

reader Shannon said...

Thanks, Luboš, for the info. Is it the return of the oral tradition ?... :-) I can't wait to listen to this.

reader lukelea said...

Can't wait for your reaction to Natanyahu's speech before Congress and the issue it raises. I am not well-informed on the technical issues but if the agreement being negotiated with Iran expires in ten years and is only designed to prevent Iran developing a bomb in less than a year, then I have to side with Natanyahu.

reader papertiger0 said...

Can you check Homer's math on this?

I wonder if it's bs. But seriously how would I know i'm a dumbass.

reader W.A. Zajc said...

Well, you know the equation involving 12-th power of integers would violate Fermat's Last Theorem. But Mathematica tells me it is numerically accurate to 2 parts in 10^{11}.

The equation for the Higgs mass is dimensionally accurate (has units of mass), and is in the ballpark. If Homer had changed pi to 4/pi, he would have made an accurate prediction of the Higgs mass ;-)

The 1/137 that appears in the equation is the fine structure constant; see Wikipedia .

reader MacDuff said...

That's obviously illegal you idiot. you should delete this post or you get sued you moron.

reader papertiger0 said...

What a trip that Homer's doughnut is linked to Brian Greene, right?

reader Luboš Motl said...

Thanks, papertiger, and I should have thanked you because your comment made me write this: